Chefs’ Recipe Book from the Copthorne Hotel Aberdeen
About the Chef Michael Matheson
Michael Matheson is an award-winning chef with an extensive, and slightly exotic background. He had a passion for cooking from a very young age and finished catering college at the tender age of 16. Michael has worked in a variety of locations including Inverness, London Mayfair and Marbella. He has also catered for the South African Embassy and at the opening parties for both OK and Hello magazines. His claim to fame is to have run the kitchens for 2,000 guests at the London Business School Annual Ball in the middle of Regent's Park, London.
Are you hosting a dinner party and need some inspiration? Or do you simply want to cook up something special for a loved one? Well why not try one of these fantastic recipes from Michael Matheson at the Copthorne Hotel in Aberdeen?
Starter: Roast Scottish Salmon Nicoise, Anchovy, Caper & Herb Pesto
Roast Scottish Salmon Nicoise:
- 4 x 100grams salmon portions
- 4 large new potatoes, cooked, cooled and cut in to small dice
- 4 large black olives, stoned and sliced
- 4 sun blush tomatoes
- 6 French beans sliced finely into rounds
- Olive oil
- 4 large egg yolks in separate dishes
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Sea salt & fresh black pepper
- White wine vinegar
- 100 grams rocket leaves (washed)
- Warm a non stick oven tray in a pre heated oven 180 / 160fan /gas 4, for 10 - 15 mins
- Season salmon fillet with salt flakes, drizzle with olive oil and then place onto a hot roasting tray skin side down for 8 - 10 mins
- Combine potatoes, olives, tomatoes and French beans, drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice
- Bring 150 ml water and 1 tsp white wine vinegar to boil and reduce to a simmer.
Anchovy, Caper & Herb Pesto
- 10 grams toasted pine nuts
- 1 peeled garlic clove
- 1 tblsp capers
- 8 fresh anchovy fillets
- 20 grams basil leaf
- 20 grams flat parsley
- 10 grams grated parmesan
- Juice ½ lemon
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Blend all ingredients until smooth
- Add lemon juice and loosen mix with olive oil, season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Add egg yolk to simmering water and then remove from heat
- Mix rocket in to salad ingredients, place at one side of the plate
- Place one tsp of the pesto mix below salad garnish and top with the salmon fillet, skin side up
- Gently remove egg yolk from water and place beside salmon
- Season top of egg yolk with salt flakes and ground pepper.