The Leineschloss is a beautiful and historic building, which serves as the Lower Saxony federal state parliament. This majestic castle lies picturesquely along the Leine River. In the past, the building was the residence of Hannoverian kings.
The Leineschloss dates back to the 14th century. The first building, constructed on the site of the castle, was a Franciscan monastery. In 1636, the Duke of Brunswick-Luneberg began the construction of a castle. Between 1816 and 1844 the castle was completely rebuilt by architect Goerg Ludwig Friedrich Laves. However, the entire building burnt down during the Second World War. The castle was restored during the period between 1957 and 1962.
For many locals, the castle is a reflection of German life in past centuries, as well as the changes that the country has undergone with regard to its leadership. During the reign of the Hannoverian kings, the castle was the centre of the ruling dynasty, whereas today it is at the forefront of democracy.